Sunday, August 28, 2016

Kindness, The Hat, and Stress

I woke up this morning a bit irritated with some people being-in my opinion- quite rude online. This happens of course. Being on the Internet gives us all the ability to say whatever we want whenever we want with the ability to not see who we are saying it about.


But I was always taught the best way to say something was with positive reinforment.

For example: in karate if I was pivoting wrong during a sidekick my instructor might say "Your sidekick gets nice power behind it, and has a nice height, you just need to make sure when you throw your kick you also pivot your base foot to complete the sidekick in proper form" these two positive things to a negative thing leave me feeling good, and determined to be better, not discouraged away from karate.

It's the same with knitting. If someone is doing something people deem "wrong" or "sloppy" or whatever, instead of just saying those negative things and leaving it in the cold world of the Internet, they should say some positive things with it. These things help to leave the knitter from feeling discouraged from wanting to knit again. This is especially important on the Internet where tone is impossible to hear, people can't hear how helpful your tone was intended to be.

It's important in this world, to be kind. Especially with so much negativity in the world. The last thing anyone would want is to discourage someone from the joy of knitting, right?


And now onto today's disaster.

Today's hat disaster.

Today's bad news.

I shaped the crown. I sweat bullets and put all my time and love into those double pointed needles. I was filled with anxiety about using five needles at once.

And we ended up with this:


It's unwearable. It's bad. I'm a terrible knitter. I'm cranky. I should never knit anything but dishcloths.

So instead my dad is getting a very nice tassel bookmark for Christmas. He reads a lot and gave me my love for reading so I think he will like it.



I'm exhausted now. But one Christmas present is down. I'm stressed. And tired. And I've lost a tiny bit of faith in people and knitting in general.

I'm stressed. I'm stressed about these Christmas presents. I want them to be loved by my family. I want them to be loved. I'm stressed my dad won't like his bookmark. I'm stressed about a lot of things. Like my knitting ability and all the other things in life.

Blah. Plain garter stitch square today. If I don't just out my needles down for good in a fit of rage I might start my mom's Christmas slippers The Snow Day Slippers for her Christmas present. Which thankfully has NO ROUND KNITTING HURRAY!

Which reminds me I need to buy Christmas wrapping paper and another tote box.

So much to do. So little me.


No comments:

Post a Comment