Monday, August 29, 2016

Casting on the Honey Cowl, So Many WIPs!

I didn't give up after yesterday's hat disaster. In fact I think I know what I did wrong. I didn't do the ribbed brim, and I was doing garter instead of stockinette so the body was shorter than the pattern called for when I started shaping the crown.

But I totally need a hat break. I'm going to work on some things for me I think. It's less stressful that way because I don't feel as compelled to have them be perfect. When I gift them, I feel like they HAVE TO BE THE BEST KNIT PRESENT IN THE WHOLE WORLD EVER. So for now I'm going to work on my Nell's Sea Silk Scarf, and a cowl for myself, and maybe passively some slippers for my mom and using the dishcloth weekly knit a long some dishcloths for Christmas presents.

The cowl I decided to make myself is the Honey Cowl using the wool from my mother in law and the indigo dyed yarn The Husbando bought me from a woman in town. I think it'll be really pretty.


So yes, lots of wips. The honey cowl, Nell's Scarf, mom's slippers, and the weekly dishcloth.

The yarn I'm using for my mom's snow day slippers. 


I had great plans to knit today. Seize the day and all that. But instead all I did was get one round on the honey cowl done. And I think I twisted the stitches.

My mom started here new job today and I'm very excited for her, but it means a new routine for us around the house which is jarring and is throwing me off.

Blargh. I feel like my brain is moving too fast. I WANT to knit but I'm just having trouble getting TOO it and enjoying it. It's like some weird form of knitters block.
(And let's be honest, after casting on and knitting a round of 110 stitches only to have to rip it out because it was twisted I'm feeling a little scorned too).


Today's blanket square is manic, and I made it in a mini honey cowl pattern.


I just wonder if my knitting mojo is gone. It's been a rough couple of days.




1 comment:

  1. If you are having trouble with joining the first round without getting a twist in it, try this: Work a few rows back and forth if possible. It's much easier to spot and correct those sneaky twists if there are a few rows of work below the live row. After about an inch, join and work the rest of it in the round. Yes, you will have a seam -- a one-inch seam. Chances are very good that no one will ever notice. I use this trick for loooooooong rows and also for some center-out patterns where you're starting with just four or five stitches. I always booger those up if I just have one stitch per needle and am supposed to work the second row as a *K1 YO* , which means you've got a YO at the end of each dp needle. When I'm ready to seam, I use the long end of the cast-on to snug up those beginning stitches and then use the rest of it to sew that little short seam.

    ReplyDelete